Saturday, August 11, 2018

Happy New Year!

The start of the school year is drawing near, but we still have a few blog posts left in our NC Ed Leaders Summer Blog Series. Today's post comes from Nikki Domally, principal at Lindley Park Elementary School in Asheboro. Nikki is a high school Spanish teacher turned elementary principal; she taught for seven years before becoming an assistant principal at South Asheboro Middle School. She was named principal of Lindley Park in 2016 where she led the start of a dual language program this past school year. In her post below, Nikki offers three tips for school leaders who are looking to make the very best out of this "New Year."


Summer is coming to an end. How did you spend yours? You’ve likely had many moments of reflection. You’ve thought about which practices are giving your students the gains they need academically, socially, and behaviorally. You’ve thought about those things that have positively impacted the climate in your school, and those things that have done the opposite. You’ve dreamed BIG about how this year your efforts will yield results, and in so doing, have likely made some “New Year’s Resolutions.” For most, the “New Year” rolls around in January; however, for school leaders the time is now for making those long term commitments that can improve the outcomes for our schools and students.

My summer activities have most certainly impacted my resolve for the year to come. I was blessed to spend quality time with my family. I am a wife and mother of three. I got to spend time cuddling with my little ones, laughing, playing, and soaking up as much of their preciousness as I could. I daydreamed about their futures (as mother’s do), cried a little when my son Logan told me he was done with hugs and kisses (hoping this is a phase), and laughed a lot when my daughter Taylor insisted on singing all of her necessary communication (this drove her brother crazy). I was overwhelmed with joy every time my five month old grabbed my cheeks with a great big grin as if to tell me he loved me.

How could these reflections impact our work and our resolutions for the 2018-2019 school year? Well, these darling students that we have in each of our buildings are someone’s number one priority. They are someone’s babies. Our daily work can determine whether a mother’s daydream comes to fruition. So, I resolve to remember that everyone at my school is more than just a number on the calendar. It is more than a countdown to next summer. I resolve to make each of these days meaningful, not just for the sake of other people’s children, but for mine (it’s okay to be a little selfish sometimes). Yes, I will be more visible. Yes, I will give timely feedback. Yes, I will remain positive in the face of negative discourse about the public schools we all love. Yes, I will be creative with my resources in face of budget cuts. Yes, I will compete each day with my best self so that the wonderful teachers and students at my school can be their very best, too. Simply put: I WILL. Will you?

Here are some tips for all those who are willing:

1. Support your goals with intentional focus - John C. Maxwell says, “Many have uphill dreams and downhill habits. No one goes uphill with downhill habits.” He further explains that the only way to break our bad habits is to get intentional. Put every observation for the year on your calendar or pre-write those encouraging notes you always intend to leave throughout the year. Don’t start your day at your computer. It is a trap and you will never leave. Commit to breaking any downhill habit that can impede your ultimate success. Intentional, advanced planning is everything because our jobs can be unpredictable.

2. Speak your goals loudly and to many! - There is no motivation like a good accountability partner. Whether we like it or not, peer pressure can be a powerful thing. When your speak it to others, that sharing demonstrates that you mean it. Don’t keep your ambitions locked in your head. First, your brain is full enough already. Second, your goals, like the seeds we plant in our garden, need nourishment and light.

3. Know your worth and the value of your work - Sometimes we think that to be great we have to accomplish monumental feats. The dictionary defines greatness as, “the quality of being distinguished.” We can distinguish ourselves through some of our most basic, everyday actions. Every equitable classroom placement, every piece of quality feedback, or every connection made with a student or family can be a means by which we distinguish ourselves as great. Whether it comes with accolades or recognition, the efforts and sacrifices you make are worthwhile. Remember that when determining the goals that will guide your year. These ideas are best summed up by a quote from William James: "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."

Whatever you have resolved to do this year, I wish you every success. Though I don’t know you, my prayers are with all of you! Happy, Happy, New (school) Year and here’s to being more awesome this year than last!

Nikki Domally is the principal of Lindley Park Elementary School in Asheboro.

No comments:

Post a Comment